Thursday, August 1, 2013

Scenario planning....I feel like it puts a title on something I knew about but didn't have a name



I think scenario planning is a future thinking approach. I think that it works well in most contexts, in fact I can't think of one where it wouldn't work. It is more about the people running it as oppose to the context itself. When I see the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach I feel as though this is the opposite of scenario planning as it doesn't create any kind of change at all. I think change is important because it creates opportunity for new learning and new life. Change in education is especially important because it teaches students how to cope with it and also gives them so many more opportunities. I have really enjoyed the readings and video and it seems to make sense to me. I can see how it would benefit organisations, but I really do think that it would require someone with authority driving it in certain situations.

I would like to learn more about how educators can bring scenario planning into schools in specific curriculum areas. Is there a way to do it effectively? Are schools in NZ using scenario planning? I wonder if it was being actively and consciously used if everyone would be open to it. I feel that as an individual I use it on a minor scale. I would be interested to hear from people who have attempted or successfully used it in a primary education setting. I wonder if it is something we could get the students involved in. One of the readings referred to getting the students to plan from their future, why not. Talking ownership of your learning is one thing, taking ownership of your own future would be pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Yep - We are all familiar with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" syndrome. That said, I have found that scenario planning is a great way to engage these folk in thinking about the current context and especially whether the "fix" will continue indefinitely.

    Nice reflection -- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete