Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Draft of ideas for Ass 1.1 EDEM630


  • Annotated bibliography of 10 sources: 2000 - 3000 words (6 - 10 pages)
  • Review essay: 2000 - 3500 words (6 - 10 pages excluding annotated bibliography and references)
  • What is the change (technology innovation)?
  • Why is the change important / necessary?
  • How does the change impact on teachers and learners drawing on the published literature on change models to understand the implications of change with digital technology?
  • You are required to apply your knowledge of the theories of change relating to the personal context for your selected topic of interest for the research paper or case study you will be preparing for the second assignment of this course. The assignment includes an annotated bibliography and a review essay.
  • Annotated bibliography guidelines

    1. Prepare an annotated bibliography including a minimum of 10 sources using the suggested format of theAnnotated bibliography e-Activity
    2. Your bibliography must commence with the heading "Research topic" and a sentence or two summarising the research topic which has guided your analysis of the literature.
    3. Your annotated bibliography must include references from authoritative sources. In this bibliography you are free to include the majority of resources provided in the indicative reading list and learning materials. You bibliography should include the following:
      1. One source describing change from the perspective of an ecological framework
      2. One source on the Concerns-Based Adoption Model (CBAM)
      3. One source on Technology adoption cycles
      4. One source on the Learning/Adoption Trajectory (LAT)
      5. Three sources documenting research on your specific technology innovation or characteristics of technology innovation.
      6. Three sources on a change related theme, for instance: Additional change models (e.g Havelock and Hamilton's CREATER model); critique or critical analysis of published change models or peer-reviewed case studies applying a change model to practice.
      7. Review Essay
      8. The aim of this essay is to demonstrate your knowledge on a model(s) of change to answer a key question related to your own personal change context in order to demonstrate your ability to apply theory to inform practice.
        Prepare an academic essay of 2000 - 3500 words reviewing a change model(s) and applying the literature to your own personal context with reference to an imminent or recent change with digital technology in education. Your essay should reference practical implications for learners and teachers, i.e. the personal or internal "classroom" context.
        1. Title: Choose an appropriate title for your essay
        2. Abstract Prepare an abstract of 350 words summarising the topic, key findings and conclusion
        3. Introduction: Describe your context of change and research question including:
          • The nature and characteristics of the technology innovation (i.e. the what?)
          • An explanation of the importance and significance of the change for teachers and learners (i.e. the why?).
          • The thesis / or problem statement or research question What is the main idea, point of view or central question you will address in your review of the change model(s)
        4. Body: This is the main part of the essay which should cover:
          • description of the change model(s) Identify an appropriate model of change which informs your thesis or problem. Summarise the relevant model with appropriate connections to your topic / context.
          • review of the implications of the change model for your own context. You should cover both strengths and shortcomings or pros and cons of the model(s).
      • Conclusion: Including for example, recommendations for the future or lessons learned.





        1.  My goal for writing this essay is to distinguish what changes online tutorials are having on teaching and learning. Throughout my research I will be looking at specific online tutorials. I will also be looking at the OSNAP change model. 
        2. Through out my essay I need to include 
          • information on the OSNAP change model
          • references from quality relevant readings
          • teachers opinions
          • student voice
          • examples of specific online tutorials
          • the changes that are happening in education
          • the advantages of tonline tutorials (positive changes)
          • the disadvantages of online tutorials (negative changes)
          • key findings relating to my topic
          • the importance and significance of the changes
          • links to my ecological perspective
          • my own experiences
          Sometimes I have a habit of going off on a tangent, I need to ensure I organise my information logically so it makes sense to the reader. I need to proof read and edit my essay, and also have an outsiders input at this stage. When I have finished my draft I will look at the assessment guidelines and ensure I have set my essay out appropriately.

          The personal change context I would like to focus on is the shift to using these online tutorials positively to support the classroom. I think that the online tutorials need to be well planned for and relevant to learning. At this stage I feel as though the Teacher still plays a huge part in developing high quality learning through online tutorials.

          My key question is directly related to my research topic "With access to specific online tutorials, is the way we teach and learn starting to change in educational institutions?" I think the key question here would be "How are the online tutorials changing the way we teach and learn." I am interested in this because I want to know what changes teachers are actually making, and I will be interested to see if the changes are for the benefit of the teachers (less planning and work) or the learners (more specific teaching and more time to work with others) and if they are meeting our NZ Curric AO's.


          The main themes I plan to address in the body of my essay are:
          • A description of the OSNAP model 
          • A description  of my research topic with references to support my ideas
          • The OSNAP model in relation to my research e.g. how it relates to change in teaching and learning using online tutorials
          • Where online tutorials are being used
          • How online tutorials are being used
          • The changes that using online tutorials are making in relation to teaching and learning - positive and negative
          • The theory of teaching it applies to 


          I anticipate that in my conclusion I will have seen some really positive influences for change using online tutorials. I think I will find that they support teachers learning, and that there will be positive changes to the educational environment. I think the changes will be that the teacher does not always have to be the expert, so it  will support the ako way of teaching and learning. In reference to 'ako' I will be interested to see if there is any evidence to show that the online tutorials still supports that not all students learn the same way. "Taking a ‘personalising learning’ approach that puts every student and their achievement at the heart of education and recognises that one size does not fit all."  Retrieved from http://www.minedu.govt.nz/theMinistry/PolicyAndStrategy/KaHikitia/StrategyOverview/StrategyApproach/Ako.aspx on 17/07/2013
          I will be very interested to see what else I come up with in my conclusion. At this stage I really don't know. 
          My next mission is to come up with a title......any ideas?
      1. I like the way this has progressed from the initial concept. For the purposes of EDEM630 I would like to see a section which justifies OSNAP as a change model -- possibly contrasting it with other change models. My concern is that OSNAP is not generally known in the literature as a model for explaining technology diffusion or change with digital technologies -- so you need to be sure that you have this covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment