Thursday, July 11, 2013

Final decisions for research topic EDEM630...parts edited from previous blog with more detail added

Well I think that after nights of thinking, a lot of feedback from Wayne and all those in my household (Thank you) and actually dreaming about it last night I have clarity on what I am going to look into for my research for EDEM630.

"With access to specific online tutorials, is the way we teach and learn starting to change in educational institutions?"
The specific digital technologies I will be looking at are online tutorials as a tool.


It is important to me because it is something I have been using in class and I am seeing a shift in education. I am wondering if it is going to benefit the teacher and students or if it is going to create laziness in educational institutions. I wonder if it raises student achievement, is it motivational, does it allow students to access new skills when they choose to, does it make some peoples jobs obsolete, or if anyone is generating income from it. I also wonder if the tutorials are always meaningful, as anyone can post a video on youtube. I would be interested to find educational videos on youtube similar to teacher tools tutorials (as the video links on www.teachertools.co.nz all link to youtube.) in other curriculum areas.
Using online tutorials affect the way we do things and how we are going about new learning. I have found that  people are referring to 'youtube' as a teaching tool if they are unsure how to do something. I also access a lot of online tutorials in my Microsoft partners in learning for my professional development. I have recently started to bring it in as a teaching tool in my classroom.


The information providers will be myself and my own experiences, people I talk to, my own experiences, students and educators who publish information on the topic. I think Microsoft will have some information on the topic, as they  have so many tutorials available. Also Apple have itunes U courses, so I am hoping there will be some information there. I have had a look at the Khan Academy and there are a a lot of resources there too.  We all find information online, and in our course notes our lecturers have left vimeo tutorials for us to use. I would like to think most educational providers in New Zealand are using online tutorials, but this is something I would like to look into further. It will be interesting to talk with Teachers in my community about what they use and how. I am also attending the ULearn 2013 in Hamilton this year, I will be interested to see if video tutorials are used or referred to.

The major questions for this topic are:

Is using online videos to teach skills changing the way we teach?
Does online learning promote a new way of learning?
Do online tutorials make jobs obsolete?
How do parents and our community feel about using online videos to learn?
Do online tutorials support classroom teaching?
What kind of learning style does this cater for?
Will it make classroom teachers lazy?
Are there students that have difficulty learning this way?

I think it is important to consider the teacher and the learner in this research, I am not looking at online tutorials exclusively, I am looking at them as a teacher resource. I am also looking at how using online tutorials may start to change the way we teach and learn in educational institutions. 

I feel that this topic is important on an international level, anyone with internet access can use online learning. I would like to look at this specifically in relation to education in NZ, but that will depend how much information I can find. I may end up spreading my research out to international institutions. A perspective suggested by one of my lecturers was to evaluate the OSNAP change model as a framework to understand or implement change with digital technology in education. I could then contrast and compare this with other models as we go through the course.  

My topic is definitely important now. Education is changing, and we are seeing a shift towards an online environment.  I will be interested to see how far back I can find research on this topic. I think that this is a great start for me as it is something I would like to know more about and it is relevant to my teaching. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miss B,

    This has come along well and I can see the refinements, critical thinking and reflection in your. Reading this -- the key question for me is: Does the OSNAP Change Model provide a useful framework for implementing online videos in the classroom? I can think of three main sections for the research (1) Why does the online video constitute a change? (2) What is the OSNAP model and how does it inform the adoption of new technology and (3) Evaluation -- how does the model compare with other adoption models (eg CBAM, LAT, TAM etc.) This is going to be a great study. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wayne.
    Yes, a lot of thinking has certainly gone into this. I am looking forward to a cold drink at the end of the day.
    I think that the OSNAP model does provide a useful framework for implementing online videos. I think that in order for it to be effective we would need to go through the process of Assessing, Identifying, Learn, Communicate, Track, Re-evaluate, Celebrate. I do think however that they do not necessarily have to go through in this order. I think OSNAP has key words that relate directly to the implementation of online videos, and it would be an effective model to use.
    Thank you for your feedback about the sections for my research, this will be very helpful when I am staring at my resources and wondering what on earth I was trying to achieve.
    I will get onto my annotated bibliography blog post over the weekend.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate the support and guidance. I am really enjoying the blogging. It is a great way of showing the thought processes and how I have ended up where I am now.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete